Children's Special Health Care Services
Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program within the Michigan Department of Community Health. It is for children and some adults with special health care needs and their families.
What does the program offer?
We help persons with chronic health care problems by providing
- Coverage and referral for specialty services based on your child’s health problems.
- Family-centered services to support you in your role as the primary caretaker of your child.
- Community-based services to help you care for your child at home and maintain normal routines.
- Culturally competent services that demonstrate an awareness of cultural differences.
- Coordinated services to pull together the services of many providers who work within different agencies.
Who can join CSHCS?
Children must have a qualifying medical condition and be 20 years old or under. Persons 21 and over with Cystic Fibrosis or certain blood clotting disorders also may qualify for services. CSHCS covers more than 2,000 diagnoses. Some medical conditions that may qualify for CSHCS are:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cleft Palate, Cleft Lip
- Liver Disease
- Club Foot
- Deformed Limbs, Amputations
- Myelodysplasia, Spina Bifida
- Certain Vision Disorders
- Paralysis, Spinal Injuries
- Hemophilia, Blood Clotting Disorders
- Cystic Fibrosis, and other Chronic Lung Conditions
- Hearing Loss
- Insulin dependent Diabetes
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Certain Heart Conditions
- Epilepsy, Hydrocephalus
- Neurological Disorders
- Kidney Disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia
If you think that you or your child qualifies for CSHCS, call our toll-free Family Phone Line @ 1-800-359-3722. A medical doctor will review each person’s medical records to determine eligibility.
Why Should I Join CSHCS?
We work with you to ensure that you or your child receive the very best care. We help you with:
- Paying specialty medical bills
- Coordinating services from multiple providers
- Learning about specialty providers, such as Doctors, hospitals and clinics
- Coordinating health insurance benefits
- Covering co-pays or deductibles
How Do I Join CSHCS?
Ask your child’s specialist to send a report about your child’s condition to us. If your child has not seen a specialist we can make arrangements to have your child evaluated. Call 1-800-359-3722 to make an appointment.
Your child’s medical condition, not your income determines if you qualify for this program. If your child qualifies, he or she will be invited to join the program. An application will be mailed to you. A review of this application will determine if we ask you to share in the cost of services.
Let Us Know How We Are Doing
We would encourage our CSHCS families and clients to give input, feedback, and recommendations regarding possible improvements to our CSHCS program. You can submit your feedback through our Client Survey by clicking Here.
If you have questions or would like more information write to:
Medical Services Administration
CSHCS Plan Division
PO Box 30479
Lansing, MI 48909-7979
Or call the CSHCS Family Phone Line at 1-800-359-3722 on Monday through Friday 8am-6pm.