Substance Use Disorder Prevention Program
Our Substance Use Disorder Prevention Program has a four pronged approach: wellness, prevention, resiliency, and recovery. We are dedicated to reducing risk factors and promoting protective factors.
To access a guide to Addiction Recovery Meetings and Support Groups in MONTCALM County, please click: here.
To access a guide to Addiction Recovery Meetings and Support Groups in GRATIOT County, please click: here.
To access a guide to Addiction Recovery Meetings and Support Groups in CLINTON County, please click: here.
We are available to meet with community groups, businesses, and other organizations to provide information and/or training on the substance use disorder prevention strategies listed on this page. For more information, please contact John Kroneck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are proud to partner with the following organizations:
- Montcalm Prevention Collaborative
- Healthy Montcalm
- Montcalm Human Services Coalition
- Recovery & Integrated Services of Care (RISC)
- Montcalm Alano Club
- Adult Recovery Court
- Trauma Champions
- Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council
- Project Success (in schools)
- Youth Leadership programs (in schools)
Alcohol and tobacco compliance checks
Regular compliance checks with local alcohol and tobacco vendors are conducted in cooperation with the Montcalm Prevention Collaborative, local police departments, Michigan State Police, and Michigan Liquor Control Commission.
Project SUCCESS is a research-based program designed to prevent and reduce substance use and abuse among adolescents attending middle school and high school. The program uses interventions that are effective in reducing risk factors and enhancing protective factors and based on the following principles:
- Increasing perception of risk of harm
- Changing adolescents' norms and expectations about substance use
- Building and enhancing social and resistance skills
- Changing community norms and values regarding substance use
- Fostering and enhancing resiliency and protective factors, especially in high-risk youth
There are four program components, which include:
- Prevention education series: sessions on alcohol, tobacco, and other drug prevention
- Parent inclusion: Parents are included as collaborative partners
- Referrals: students who require treatment, counseling, or other services are referred to the appropriate agency
- School-wide awareness activities: these activities are conducted with student participation to influence attitudes and norms about substance and related high-risk behaviors.
The Montcalm Youth Wellness Committee was formed in 2017 to empower young people in Montcalm County to make good choices for their health and well-being and to develop leadership skills to facilitate positive social change. The students are taught to recognize and analyze the risk factors and local conditions that affect health and substance use in their own schools and communities, which allows them to tackle issues important to them. This group is made up of 8th through 12th grade students from several Montcalm County schools. Past accomplishments include:
- Assisting with Greenville Public School's anti-vaping team
- Supporting county vaping ordinances
- Sticker Shock- an initiative to bring awareness of the problem of underage drinking in partnership with the Montcalm County Sheriff's Department
- Attending prevention conferences
This program focuses on the positive choices and actions we can engage with to build a successful and meaningful life. It also has the added benefit of increasing the length and quality of life.